This assignment requires you to use two online resources and then present your findings. To undertake it, you will have to choose one of the novels on the course as your base text, the text upon which you will centre your research for this assignment. Do that first.
OK. Now proceed to step one:
- Visit the Linked Modernisms site. On this site, you will be able to query and visualize relationships among a wide range of figures and entities related to modernism across the arts and around the world. Use it to begin with something you recognize, and that is related to the novel you’ve chosen, and explore out from there. Keep track of the connections and terms you explore for step two.
- Visit the Routledge Encyclopedia of Modernism through the Databases page of the UVic Libraries website. Building upon the research you did in step one, find four related entries in the REM that pertain to the novel you have chosen, and to one another. They may be directly or indirectly related.
- Prepare a presentation of 20-30 minutes’ duration. Your presentation must
- List the terms you selected.
- Justify how the terms are related to one another (do not just repeat what the websites say, but flesh it out to show relevance to the novel you’ve chosen).
- Show how they enhance our understanding of some aspect of the novel: its aesthetics, politics, form, concerns.
- Suggest a thesis — an argument — about the novel that could be constructed based on your findings.
- Outline how you would prosecute that argument.
I expect that your presentation will use visualizations and illustrations. Feel free to be creative, and to explore both digital and analogue possibilities for presenting your findings and advancing your argument.
NB – This is a formal presentation, so you should dress accordingly and present yourself professionally. This will form part of your mark.